Friday, January 22, 2010

Amazima



I don't really even know where to begin with this post - my heart is so heavy...
I was reading a friends blog a few days ago, and learned of this 21 year old girl named Katie who has a ministry to orphans in Uganda. I started to read her blog, and was amazed... This young girl moved to Uganda, cares spiritually and physically for over 1,000 children and their families, and has adopted 14 daughters of her own!!

I have always wanted to adopt (from Africa, specifically) but have become more serious about it after struggling with fertility issues. After reading about Katie, and seeing the sweet faces, and hearing the above and beyond sad stories of these children - I want to commit to praying about adoption more fervently. I remember saying as a young Christian that I did not feel called to missions, as some were not. That, I now feel, is a lie. We are ALL called to missions. Maybe not full time, but we are all still called to make disciples of ALL nations. On the same note, I have heard people say that adoption is not for everyone. And that may be true - but we are ALL called to "Be kind to widows, orphans, fatherless children and strangers. Share whatever you have with them." Deuteronomy 24:17-21 "Defend the poor and fatherless: do justice to the afflicted and needy. Deliver the poor and needy: rid them out of the hand of the wicked." Psalms 82:3-4

We can do this through Amazima - and I encourage you to all pray about this... For only $300 a year, you can "adopt" one of these orphans and provide them with the funding for school, school supplies, 2 meals a day, and minor medical care. Not to mention providing them care for their souls - and introducing them to the God who loves them so much... I would love to go visit Katie one day - and meet these children face to face. I am so jealous of Bens medical knowledge and training, because he is so needed in places like this - where I sometimes feel useless. But one thing I CAN do is LOVE on those children - and maybe even bring one home! :)

I have had Katie and her ministry on my mind and in my prayers since I read her blog - it was so convicting to read her stories, and know that I was living so comfortably here doing nothing to help. It also confused me that I am begging God for another child and medically pursuing treatment that could give me one - when there are SO MANY children waiting to be loved in Uganda, and so many other countries - even our own. Please look into Katie's ministry - you'll be glad you did...

amazima.org

kissesfromkatie.blogspot.com

3 comments:

The Morrisons said...

What a wonderful ministry. I can share your sentiments exactly. I so want another child, and am trying to be patient for God to tell me how, when, where etc. I am feeling a heavy burden for local adoption lately. We have friends who are adopting from Ethiopia and it is taking so long. They have their boys, but can't bring them home. I know this would be excruciating for me. I am wondering if local might be better for me? I am being patient especially because I know adopting is so much paperwork that I don't have a lot of time for while the boys are so young. Maybe in a couple of years.

Thank you for also mentioning that we are all called to adopt-maybe not by raising a child in our own home, but in some way we are all to care for orphans. love to you. Hope to see you soon.

the finley family said...

katie!! our director at school shared about katie and her ministry this morning during our prayer time... WOW!! may we all be encouraged by her!!
thanks for sharing your heart katie... you are so special to so many people!!
xoxo,
katie

The Spiveys said...

Katie...thank you for sharing your heart! I read her blog and it pushed me to Jesus. Thank you for that. I do not hear the Lord that clearly...I don't obey Him that way, but her story makes me yearn for it. Thank you. Praying for you.

Morgan