Wednesday, October 3, 2007

Shady Skate 280

 

 

Although the above picture needs some explaining, I must first brag on my sweet husband...

When we lived in Mobile, there was a skate center down the street from our house. I always begged him to take me, and tried to force our friends to go too. Not only did I want to go skate - I wanted a skating birthday party. Yes - you heard right... a skating birthday party. Well that never happened, and then I got pregnant and couldn't skate at all. I had since forgotten about my strong desire to go skating, since I had seen no skate centers in Birmingham.

So, on Saturday night - the day before my 26th birthday - Ben blindfolded me and said we were going to dinner. I got in the car, very excited but curious. (those of you who know me well, know that I LOVE surprises...) 20 minutes later, Ben helped me out of the car - my eyes watering from the blindfold, and I heard this loud thumping music in the distance. As we walked, the music got louder - until Ben opened the door and took off my blindfold. Several of my favorite friends jumped out and yelled surprise over the music of... SKATE 280 - Birmingham's premier skate center.

Finally, I got the skating party of my dreams - complete with all the skating, rap music, pizza, diet coke, and Zoe's chocolate cake my heart desired. Not only that - but they welcomed our party over the loudspeaker, we got to see Emily get plowed over by an overzealous speedskater (and no, it wasn't Ben), AND Auburn beat Florida! What a night...
Posted by Picasa

6 comments:

Anonymous said...

That's so funny!!!! I never had a skating party when I was little. Too bad I live in Mobile. Tell Ben he did a great job!!! What a sweet husband.

nick, robyn and taylor said...

Say it ain't so...a post from the Comptons?!? As I clicked on the link to your blog I thought to myself, "Why am I even wasting my time?" And much to my surprise there was not one new post, but TWO! Yay, Katie! We're really sad that we missed your skating party. I thought about you the other day when I passed Rambo's.

danielle said...

JD and I wish we could have been there! I love to skate!!!!

Parks Avenue said...

Great sign outside the Shady Skate! It's almost like God put it there and named it just for you! If it had been named anything else, we would've called it Shady Skate anyway! I hope you had a great B-day. Wish we could've been there. Lots of love!
-annie

Nick and Christina Brannen said...

What a great birthday!!! I wish that you could have heard how hard Nick and I were laughing at your post. Hope you had a super birthday!

TMB said...

wow! so fun. i have not had a skating party since like 3rd grade!! so fun. i love the new posts...we were thinking Campbell was going to be off to college next time we saw pix!! haha, i am totally kidding! i know what it's like to be home all day alone with a baby girl...not much time to spare. but we do love seeing her precious little face! hope to see ya'll sometime soon...
love
N.T. and D.
www.nathantayloranddylan.blogspot.com