Wednesday, May 6, 2009

HELP

So we have quite a few changes coming up to make that might stir Campbell's life up a bit... I want to first take away the paci, second start potty training, and third move her to a big girl bed. Wow - I just get tired thinking of it... The paci will be more sad for me than her I think - it just brings her so much comfort. I hate to take that away. Oh well! Potty training is also a very scary thought... I have read all I can, and think I have all the necessary things to start. The big girl bed is not as high of a priority - she has never thought about climbing out (knock on wood) and still loves her crib. Plus, I was hoping to switch her to a new room and big girl bed when I got pregnant - but since that doesn't seem to be happening any time soon, we might have to just put her new bed in her current room. I hate to give up a guest room if I don't have to!

All that to say, can anyone give me their great pearls of wisdom on these 3 things? I know those of you that have been there and done that will be better than any book... so help! Please! I just remember back to the baby stages being so hard because they changed so fast - and as soon as you thought you had one phase mastered, it was on to a new one... Well, I feel like we have gotten things down and had things easy for quite a while now - and going back into unchartered territory is NOT something I am looking forward to!

Thanks for your help... I'll leave you with a few recent favorite Campbell stories...

-Tonight I was about to spank her for spitting out her milk (a new favorite of hers) and as I turned her over my knee she screamed "I obey God! I obey God!" :) Its hard for your discipline to be effective when you are grinning from ear to ear!

-I have asked her lately when she has 2 things if she wants both (pacis, toys, etc)... She then put together that both meant 2, so she now says "2 both" instead of 2 or both. example: "I want 2 both pieces of apple mommy." I love it!

7 comments:

The Morrisons said...

Hi friend! I don't know how wise my advice is, but I have done most of those things twice so here goes my "pearls." Oh, and my boys like to spit drink too. It had only been outside until Owen decided it would be fun to do it at the table. Uggghhh. I will talk your ear off more when you visit about your questions if you want. I will start with paci. It will NOT be as hard as you think. Once you decide to take it away though, don't go back. Micah didn't even cry once for it, just had a few shorten naps till he learned how to put himself back to sleep without it. Owen had a paci all the time. I finally told him he could only have it in the bed. He fussed for it off and on for about 2 days, but was easy to distract. Trust me, it was no big deal. He still sleeps with it. I am not so worried about that until I get pregnant-which doesn't seem to be any time soon either so I may have to rethink that! Big girl bed-don't rush it if she doesn't want to climb out of her crib yet. You will lose precious nap times and there is no real reason to switch yet. You will probably get much better compliance later. Micah switched early because of Owen and did awesome, but I think it was because he was so young-he was scared to get out. But around 2.5 he started being super obstinate. By 3 he was much more compliant again (they start to realize you really are going to discipline them!) Oh, and potty training-it probably won't be as bad as you think. Owen thinks it is fun and literally was potty trained in about 3 days. Micah was scared-so we had a rough couple of days sitting on the pot until he finally couldn't hold it anymore. We still do pull-ups for Owen when we are going to be gone a long time, but he almost always stays dry. We did a pants off/potty train in a day method. They got 3 jelly bellies for making a peepee and 5 for poopy. It was great motivation for my sweet toothed boys. Hope this helps. Don't stress about any of it. My mom loved to tell me that they weren't going to go to college in diapers with a paci waiting in their cribs! Ha! But it is true. Before you know it, she will have them all down pat. Maybe just take it one step at a time.

taylor said...

i can be of no assistance in the big girl bed and potty training arenas!

however...with the "binky" i say COLD TURKEY ALL THE WAY! throw them out in one fell swoop, and never look back. you might have a couple hard nights, but it beats dragging the process out! that's how we did it, at least!

i say you do potty training first, and then tell me how to do it with D!! :) i am thinking about the long- weekend-with-no-pants-on-and-a-potty-in-the-middle-of-the-den sort of plan. seems quick and painless!

we miss ya'll!! hope to see you guys soon!

Anonymous said...

When you figure all that out you can pass it on to me:) I'm just trying to figure out how to get Quinn to eat solids. I try everyday and he just isn't going for it, I think he would love to live on milk forever.

The Brannens said...

I don't have any advice because I have not experienced any of those things yet so when you get it all figured out then pass all he info on to me:) I love your Campbell stories! That cracks me up when she said "I obey God!" Kids are too funny:)

Kimmie said...

haha! i can SO see campbell saying "I obey God." That is a great story! I wish i could help you with the paci and potty training... i'm just trying to get the paci to actually STAY in isaac's mouth.:):)

campbell..who is the cutest girl that ste ste knows????

Tiff and Seth said...

Hey Katie!! This is Tiffany Clark... I have lost your email, but I wanted to let you know that Seth and I are expecting our first...a little girl! :) Just wanted to let you know since I talked to you so much about diabetes and pregnancy! Keep us in your prayers! http://finallybuildingahome.blogspot.com

--Shelley said...

A few weeks ago we lost Ella's paci. That was it. We had a few hard nights but it is over now. I could not believe how easy it was. Same with Nate. We lost them both on the same day. We actually found Ella's about a week later but quickly got rid of it. Hope all goes well.