Thursday, June 12, 2008

How could this happen?

Ben was on call last night, and he usually calls me around 10 before he lays down - but by 11 or so last night, I still hadn't heard from him. I called him around 11:30 to check on him and he sounded really down. I assumed, he must have had a busy night - or, I'm sure he is exhausted. I was not prepared for what he said next...

He had a patient with HIV, and got stuck by one of his needles. I still can't believe it as I type it. All I could think was, "How could this happen?!?" Its not April, right? This would be a cruel April Fool's joke - I was speechless. After being with Ben through 4 years of medical school, and now going into his second year of residency, you would think I would be more prepared for something like this. There are probably a lot of things that could happen to him everyday - or things he could bring home and spread to us - but I try not to think about those things...

He assured me that the chance of him getting it is low, but still - THERE IS A CHANCE?!? What?!? my head is still kind of spinning... he had to have a lot of blood work done right away, and had to start several medications to prevent it - and they supposedly make you sick. Of course I was thinking, can Campbell and I get this? I guess there is always that chance - so we will have to be taking measures to prevent it... all this said, I trust the Lord to take care of us in this situation - but please pray. Pray for Ben to not be sick on the medication, and for protection against something like this happening again. Pray that he will not get it - and that Campbell and I will be protected too.

I just can't believe I am actually asking God to protect my husband and my family from HIV...

14 comments:

Danny and Jennifer White said...

I am so sorry Katie. we will be praying for you.

The Morrisons said...

Oh Katie, I am SOOOOOOOO sorry. I can't even believe that happened. I know the Lord is good and will provide strength and faith in this scary time. We are praying that nothing will come of the HIV and that Ben will feel ok while on the meds. Let us know if we can do anything.

Kimmie said...

don't worry right now katie, although i'm sure it's easy to!! i will be praying for ya'll today and know that the Lord holds your family in the palm of His hand. Love you!

Demetrius and Amy said...

We love you guys and of course are praying for all of you.

Anonymous said...

Oh Katie and Ben I am so sorry this happened. We are praying for you guys too! Love Ya'll!

Ivan Wright said...

i'll be praying for all 3 of you

lindsay said...

Katie and Ben I'm praying for you all right now! Please keep us updated!!

TMB said...

we are certainly praying and are here if you need ANYTHING at all! love ya'll--

Anonymous said...

definitely praying for you guys. for protection and peace as you wait. I love y'all. C

Meredith Houston Carr said...

Katie, i am so sorry!! I know just how scary that can be--Aaron has been stuck a couple of times, and you just hold your breath and pray..we will be thinking about and praying for you--i know it is scary, but the odds are on your side that he IS just fine. We miss you guys--Campbell is just beautiful!!

The Nebrigs said...

we have already started praying for you all and will continue to do so.

Amber said...

Katie- I am so so sorry that this happened. I know it is scary! I will definitely be praying for Ben and that the medication would work and he will be healthy and fine. Zach is starting his 4th year of medical school so I understand how you feel.....they come in contact with so much. We definitely have to trust God daily to take care of our husbands and our families!

The Rouse Family said...

Katie--we are praying for you! Try not to worry right now which I know it is hard to do. God is in control and will take great care of ya'll.

The Brannens said...

Katie, I will be praying for all of you to rest in the Lord. I can't imagine how hard it would be not to be worried right now. He is the great comforter and healer and I pray you will cling to that during this time. I love you!